Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Personal Reading Profile

Honestly, I spent far too much time trying to define myself as a reader for this profile. My number one appeal to books is well-developed characters. If a book has completely flat characters, I don’t care what happens to them so I have trouble reading the story. I really like characters I can connect with and feel sympathy for. In fact, my favorite books have characters I don’t let go of. I miss the book when I finish reading, and I still think of the characters long after, as if missing friends I used to see often. On Goodreads, I do not like to give a 5 rating very often, but if a character and a story stays with me, the book tends to end up a 5.

The books I’ve rated with a 5 are: Jane Eyre, The Thorn Birds, Pride and Prejudice, Anne of Green Gables (series), The Last Promise, The Book Thief.

Along with great characters, these books are all very rich in detail and have strong settings. Also, they are unforgettable! I have thought of and referenced these books many times since reading them. I also have read all of these books more than once.

Know that I have not added all books I’ve read to Goodreads, so many, MANY good books are missing. I only started my account last year, so only my most recent or most memorable books are listed.

Some other books I’ve enjoyed that aren’t on my list: His Dark Materials (The Golden Compass series), Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Five Flavors of Dumb, Twilight (I don’t care, I really enjoyed the storytelling), Hawaii by James Michener, Sisterhood Everlasting, The Secret Garden, and A Little Princess.

A few books I really didn't care for are XVI, As I Lay Dying, and Nothing. Each of these books have really flat characters, and as a reader, I felt like I was just sitting there watching a bunch of crazy people. I didn't connect with them, or care about what was happening to them.

I’ve read lots of YA books, lots of literature (I was a literature major in undergrad), many children’s books, and a good selection of adult books. I absolutely love reading, and I am excited to discover more books I deem worthy of a 5 star rating.

1 comment: